Guy E. Green Endowed Presidential Scholarship
Guy E. Green was born June 3, 1896 to Robert Oscar and Frances Adeline Green in Mason County, Texas, and graduated from Mason High School in 1914. The first to go to college in his family, he entered Southwest Texas State Teachers College in San Marcos in 1916. During World War I, he served in the 67th Infantry, 9th division of the United States Army. After graduating in 1920, he taught school for two years and then decided to become a geologist.
Green enrolled in UT’s geology program in 1922 earning a BA in 1924 and an MA one year later. While doing graduate studies, he worked as a geology instructor. It was during this time that he acquired his nickname, “Squire.” One day, the children of Dr. Hal P. Bybee, then an associate professor in (and later chairman of) the Department of Geology, asked Green if he was the “Squire Green” who was a character in one of their books. The moniker stuck for the rest of his life.
Squire met his wife, Florence Settles (BA’24, MA’25), at UT. After marrying in 1926, the couple had a daughter, Louise, and son, Willard (Will), both of whom would earn degrees in geology at UT Austin. Like his father, Will (MA ’55) would meet his wife, Marianne White
(BA ’54, MA ‘57), while attending the University. One of Squire’s siblings also graduated from UT Austin and there are a total of 5 UT geology graduates in the Green family. Granddaughter Susan Green is currently working on her Master’s thesis in Geophysics at the University of Houston.
Guy E. Green
Upon graduation, Squire was a field geologist with The Kirby Oil Company, a subsurface geologist with the Vacuum Oil Company in the Permian Basin and South Texas, and a consultant. He then became associated with John T. O’Neil and Tommy Atkins and the three organized the Santa Clara Oil Company which later merged with the Wellington Oil Company. Squire’s competent geological oversight led to the discovery of the Seven Sisters Field in Duval County, the La Ward Field in Jackson County, and the Clara Driscoll Field in Nueces County. After a merger, a new Santa Clara Oil Company was formed with Squire as its vice president. This company discovered oil in Duval County in a find called Squire Field. In 1949, he became president and general manager of the newly-formed Far West Oil Company which discovered the South Glenrock Multipay Field in Wyoming, one of the giant fields in Wyoming at that time. After establishing his impressive record as an oil finder, Squire, a long- time member of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists and honorary life member of the South Texas Geological Society, mostly retired from the oil business after the sale of Far West in 1954. From that time until his passing in late 1965, he devoted his time and talents to other interests.
Squire was a Master Mason, a Scottish Rite Mason, and a Shriner. He was also a steady and conscientious member of the Laurel Heights Methodist Church and served on many of its committees. Squire took a leading role in planning and building Morningside Manor, a Methodist retirement facility, where he served as president of the board of directors.
He worked loyally for the benefit of The University of Texas, especially for the Department of Geology to which he felt indebted for preparing him for his success in his chosen profession. Squire was a member of the UT Geology Foundation Advisory Council from 1956 to 1965, served as its second chairman from1962 to 1965, and elected an Honorary Life member in 1965.
Will Green believes that Squire, who, in his words, “never was a man to seek recognition,” would be “very humbled and proud” of this endowment. “My father,” he says, “thought education was important and saw it as an opportunity to give people a better life.” Will, who Squire first took to the oil fields when he was eight years old, credits his father’s influence on his decision to become a geologist and go into the oil business. A scholarship recipient himself while attending UT Austin, Will actively supports the Jackson School and continues Squire’s legacy of service as a member of the Geology Foundation Advisory Council.